Are there favorite hometown things from your state that you just can't live without? For me, there are tons of things from Kentucky that I love and miss; things you can't find anywhere else.
1. Magee's Bakery - My first birthday cake came from this shop and I've had several since. Chocolate cake and butter creme icing.....TO.DIE.FOR. My brother actually got me a cake from there last birthday....such a sweetheart :)
2. Hall's on the River - home of beer cheese! I don't' know if you have a clue what it is, but beer cheese has been a staple in my life since I was an infant. It's a spread that can be put on anything, but my favorites are to top plain saltine crackers and also in a bowl of chili with some jalapenos!
3. Nothing goes better with beer cheese than an ice cold Ale 8. O.M.G. I can't explain it. You either love it or hate it. The closest thing I can compare it to is ginger ale, but soooo much better. Outsiders say its somewhat like swamp water.....I promise its not that bad!! You'll have to try it to trust me :) And if you do, make sure its in a long neck glass bottle!!!
4. Keeneland - This place is magical! They have races two times a year, fall and spring. Fall meets are perfect because its right when the weather starts to change....the leaves are changing colors and there's a little crisp in the air. Amazing. Spring meets are the beginning of summer. Right before spring break (if you're in college), the weather is starting to warm up and its a great time to wear a cute spring dress. The atmosphere is like no other.....you have to check it out!!
5. Anything UK - Being raised by UK graduates and being a UK graduate myself, I can't help but say that I bleed blue. I was raised tailgating at football games...no not the kind of tailgating that happens in college. Fall football ranks up there with fall meet at the horse track. It just makes me smile!!
What do you love about your home state? About where you grew up? Hope you're having a great week!