Monday, April 27, 2009

Make-Up Tip Monday!

Good evening ladies and gentlemen! I hope the start of your week has been a wonderful one, cause I know mine has been. I started my work-study program at school, which was wonderful, and I also had an INTERVIEW!!! I was soooo excited to out in the job world again. I did have a few hesitations though.....the job I found and applied for was from Craigslist...eek! Anyone heard of the Craigslist Killer???? I was soooo nervous as I continued drive into the middle of nowhere to find my interview location. The interview was held in a warehouse.....I know what you might be thinking, trust me. I thought it too. But everything was great. The warehouse was their temporary home because they are getting a brand new facility!! Sweet!

The interview was a dream. I was amazed at how the job/job description was made just for me!!! My hopefully soon-to-be co-workers were lovely and I can't wait to hear back from them. I just had a feeling about it. I couldn't stop smiling, I was so happy!!

Now on with the make-up tips!!!

Over the past few weeks we've been working ourselves up from the beginning of make-up applications. We've talked about skin prep, choosing the right foundation, and now we will discuss foundation application!

To me, proper application of foundation is just as important as the make-up its self. Most foundation wearers are stuck in the era of the sponge....


I cringe when I see these things. Now they are good for cleaning up eyeshadow flakes after application, you know, the little sprinkles you get under your eye after you've put your shadow on? But I do NOT recommend using these sponges for foundation, whether it is for powder, cream, or liquid. Why? For these reasons:

-if you are using a liquid or cream, the sponge soaks up your product and doesn't give it back!! You are wasting anywhere from 25-50% of the product you paid hard-earned money for!! Stop! Thief!!

-the purpose of a sponge is to absorb....so its going to absorb anything on your face that it can. The sponge will soak up all the oil and bacteria on your face and the give all that yummy stuff a home to reproduce! YUCK!

-a sponge will not lay or place product on your face like a brush will. Like I mentioned before, the sponge wants to soak up the make-up, so its not going to give you a smooth, even application.

-when you use a sponge with a powder foundation, do you ever get a dark crusty layer that appears on the top of your compact? Well that is the oil from your face that the sponge drank up and spewed out on your precious make-up.....more yummy bacteria! Yes!

"What do you recommend, Meagan?" you might be wondering...

BRUSHES

That's right ya'll, BRUSHES! There are a variety of brushes available to you that will help with your foundation application.

For liquid and cream foundations you can use any brush you want. The more compact the bristles on the brush, like the brush third from the left in the picture above, the more product you will be able to pick up. This brush will give you a lot of coverage. The proper way to use the brush is not in a paintbrush motion. Paint-the-fence, Paint-the-fence, up and down, up and down.....NO, no no no no no no, NO!! All this is going to do is move the make-up around and give you a streaky finish. What you want to do is pat the skin with the brush to place the product on the face.

You can also use a fluffy brush to put a liquid or cream foundation on. Yes, I said it, a fluffy brush like the brush you've put blush or powder on with your whole life can be used as a liquid foundation or cream on your face. I love the result of using a fluffier brush. You place the make-up on in a circular motion, working the product on little by little. This will give you a more diffused look, an airbrushed finished. Flawless skin!!! Ooh La La!

When it comes to powder foundation, I would stick to the brushes on the right side of the picture. As you can see, there are a variety of sizes of fluff brushes. This gives you the choice of light, medium, or heavy application. The fluffier the brush, the less product will be placed on the face.

So that has it. Use brushes! I know I'm partial to MAC brushes because they last forever, but if you cannot afford to splurge on a full set or even one brush, stop by your local drugstore and pick up a few to try. I really like the make-up brushes at Target. The Sonia Kashuk make-up tools. They are the closest to my beloved MAC.

Things to remember when using your brushes:

-wash your brushes once or twice a month. More if you apply make-up daily. Use a small amount of make-up removing facial soap or an antibacterial soap diluted in water to wash your brushes. RINSE THOROUGHLY! Make sure you get all the soap out, gently squeeze excess water out, and lay on a paper towel to dry over night.

-don't get discouraged if you are first starting to use the brushes. Just like anything else new, you have to practice. It will come to you and you will notice the biggest difference!

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.....PLEASE!!?? I haven't heard from very many people on my little posts! :( I love your comments and especially your questions!

Peace out!

5 comments:

  1. i hate those sponges too! gross!

    i usually just wash my hands and then apply with my fingers. i'll have to try the brush. but, i only wear make up about once a week (if that).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too dont use those sponge thingys, I use my {CLEAN} fingers. Good Luck with the job! You will have to let us know what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh I have a question! I don't like sponges either so I use my fingers too. Is that ok? What would be the reasons I should not do that? Thanks Meagan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, congrats on the great interview! I am totally keeping my fingers crossed for you! Please tell us how everything plays out.

    Second...thanks for the good foundation brush tip! I rarely use foundation because I am weird about putting stuff on my face, but when I do, I never know the best way to do it. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, its going to take a lot of Mondays to get me up to speed. :) Xoxo-BLC

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin